Oxford, Ohio (September 6) – Breweries from Antioquia, Columbia to Columbia, South Carolina sent more than 8000 beers representing over 140 different styles to the 2021 U.S. Open Beer Championship. Today, the U.S. Open Beer Championship announces the medal winners and Grand National Champion.
Toppling Goliath Brewing of Decorah, Iowa was awarded the 2021 Grand National Champion by winning 4 gold and two silver medals. Toppling Goliath’s gold medal winners included King Sue DIPA, Mornin Delight 2021 Imperial Stout, Assassin 2021 Barrel Aged Extreme Imperial Stout and KBBS 2020 Barrel Aged Specialty Stout. Toppling Goliath is known for brewing some of the best beers in the world.
Schulz Brau Brewing out of Knoxville, Tennessee placed second by winning three gold medals and a silver. Their gold medal winners were Double Barrel Helles Bock, Schwarzbier and Munich Helles. Schulz Brau is also known for having one the best beer gardens in America.
Motorworks Brewing out of Bradenton, Florida took third place overall, earning two gold medals and three silver medals. Their Datil Imperial Porter became a 3-time gold medal winner at the U.S. Open. A feat accomplished by less than a dozen breweries.
The U.S. Open Beer Championship judges more beer styles than any other competition in the world. The U.S. Open also is the only major beer competition to allow the gold medal winners of the AHA’s National Homebrew Competition to participate, but due to COVID-19, last year’s AHA’s National Homebrew competition was canceled. Thus, for the first time, no homebrewers competed.
Also due to the COVID-19 pandemic, judging was held in both the U.S. and Canada. The main U.S. judging was held at the new U.S. Open Event Center in Oxford, Ohio. The U.S. Open became the first beer competition to be held in its own venue which is a 6000 square foot Amish pole barn located on a small farm.
Judging in the U.S. Open Beer Championships is blind; judges know only the categories, not the names or locations of beers being judged.
Top 10 Breweries in 2021’s U.S. Open Beer Championships
1. Toppling Goliath Brewing – Iowa
2. Schulz Brau Brewing – Tennessee
3. Motorworks Brewing – Florida
4. Wellington Brewery – Ontario
5. Big Ditch Brewing Company – New York
6. Main & Six Brewing Company – Florida
7. Oregon City Brewing Co – Oregon
8. Barrel Chest Brewing – Virginia
9. Fretboard Brewing – Ohio
10. Niagara College Teaching Brewery – Ontario
10. Sun King Brewery – Indiana
U.S. Open beer judges always enjoy the creativity behind the names that breweries demonstrate for their products, selected subjectively – based on laughter volume — at the conclusion of the judging. This year’s Top 10 Favorite Beer Names included:
1. Finely Aged Plummer’s Crack Ale – Bad Dad Brewing Company
2. I Hated Listermann Before It Was Cool Stout – Listermann Brewing
3. We’re Gonna Need A Bigger Pontoon Boat DIPA – Pontoon Brewing
4. Tripel Dollar Bill Y’all – Lexington Brewing & Distillery
5. Never Fight a Man with a Perm Barley Wine – Lynwood Brewing Concern
6. Magic Carpet Rye’d – Model A Brewing
7. Dank Poets Society Imperial IPA – Riip Beer Company
8. The Cashmere Shrinkage Pale Ale – 1840 Brewing
9. That’s Wit she said – Legacy Ale Works
10. Bitchin Kitchin IPA – MPH Brewing